What is the amount of a monthly disability benefit payment?

Social Security CardFirst, there is a difference between Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). SSDI benefit amounts vary for each individual and are based on the person’s average earnings before he or she became disabled. SSI benefits are a set amount paid to low-income disabled people who have not paid enough into the Social Security system to be eligible for SSDI.

For an individual, the easiest way to find out what your disability benefit amount would be is to view your Social Security statement. You can view your statement by logging in or creating an account at the My Social Security website. The benefit amount is calculated according to a formula based on the income on which you have paid Social Security taxes. If you are not able to create or use a My Social Security account, you can get an estimate of your expected benefit by using the Social Security benefit calculator.

SSDI Benefit Amount

The majority of SSDI recipients receive a monthly payment of between $300 and $2,200. In 2017, the average SSDI payment for an unmarried individual is $1,171. The cost-of-living adjustment for 2017 was 0.3 percent, so benefits increased very little from 2016 to 2017.

SSDI benefits are not affected by the recipient’s other income or assets, except for other disability benefits regulated by the government, such as temporary state disability benefits or workers’ compensation. If these total more than 80 percent of the average amount you earned before you began receiving disability benefits, then your SSDI benefits may be reduced.

SSI Benefit Amount

SSI benefits, by contrast, are not based on an individual’s past earnings. They are a set amount, which may increase annually based on cost-of-living adjustments, and may be reduced based on the recipient’s current income and assets. The 2017 federal maximum is $735 per month for an eligible individual and $1,103 for an eligible individual with an eligible spouse. There was a slight cost-of-living increase from the 2016 amounts of $733 for an eligible individual and $1,100 for an eligible individual with an eligible spouse. Some states may supplement SSI payments with additional benefits.

In Florida, SSI recipients may receive food assistance through SUNCAP (food stamps) without an additional application. Florida does not have a general state supplement to SSI the way some states do, so the SSI amount in Florida is just the federal maximum of $733 per month for an eligible individual and $1,100 for an eligible individual with an eligible spouse. Florida has an Optional State Supplementation, but that is only for people in residential treatment facilities such as group homes or assisted living.

Please Note: We have opened up comments on this article so that you may ask additional questions if you wish, and we will try to answer them as we are able. Scroll to the bottom to Leave a Comment or Question. Any answers are for informational purposes only; they do not constitute legal advice and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

If this service is helpful to you, please consider posting a positive review. This helps others in need of legal services connect with us.

Post a Review

202 Comments on What is the amount of a monthly disability benefit payment?

  1. Linda L. Kovacs // March 25, 2016 at 9:53 am // Reply

    Which Florida State Agency should I apply to for SSI (not SSDI) benefits. I seem to qualify and can’t find the proper agency or phone/fax number or address. Thank you.

    • You can apply for SSI with the Social Security Administration (which is a federal agency rather than a state agency). You can call 1-800-772-1213 to make an appointment at your local Social Security office to file an application. If your application is denied, an attorney may be able to help. If you are in the Tampa Bay area, feel free to call us at 813-444-2889.

      • I live in Milwaukee wi planning to move to Bradenton fl I get ssi and have 6 children I’m wondering what my income would be

        • Since SSI is a federal program, the amount should not change. However, if the state of Wisconsin adds any optional state supplement to the federal amount, that would not be available in Florida, because Florida does not offer a general state supplement.

  2. Marquari Woods // March 25, 2016 at 8:49 pm // Reply

    I am moving from Tennessee to Florida. I receive ssi /ssdi with dual insurance. How will this move effect my current benefits?

    • A move to another state should not substantially affect SSI/SSDI benefits, as they are federal benefits. Two possible ways benefits could be affected are: (1) Since SSI benefits are means-tested, if your financial situation is changing (for instance if you would be receiving free rent in your new home), your SSI benefits could be lowered on that basis. (That could happen even if you moved within the same state.) and (2) States may offer certain additional benefits to SSI recipients. For instance, in Florida, SSI recipients can receive SUNCAP food assistance. So those would depend on the state you live in.

      • Deirde mcneal // May 29, 2016 at 10:21 pm // Reply

        I live in Michigan and moving to Florida St. Petersburg area I currently have ssdi in the amount of 1066monthly /Medicare no Medicaid nor food stamps how will this work once I get married and moving? Do marriage affect my income ssdi?

        • Welcome to Florida! Getting married will not affect SSDI, and moving to another state will not affect SSDI either. Just call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 to tell them your new address. Your Medicare benefits should also stay the same, but if you have a Medicare Advantage plan or Part D prescription drug plan that is geographically limited, then make sure you switch to a plan that covers the area you move to.

  3. Im told that florida only pays SSI to those who live in an adult group home of sorts. That i will not get SSI since i live in my own home. Is this correct?

    • No. SSI has income and asset limits, so to be eligible, your income cannot be above a certain amount, and you cannot have more than $2,000 in “countable assets.” However, some assets, such as the house you live in, do not count, so you can even own your own home and be eligible for SSI. Also, many people on SSI live in apartments or other housing situations. There is no requirement to be in a group home.

      • Thank you so much for your help. This is very confusing. I have no other income until I start receiving SSDI in July.{ Ive received nothing for either SSDI or SSI} Do I have to apply for Medicaid so I can finally see doctors or will I just receive it?

        • Someone who has been approved for SSDI will receive Medicare, but there is a two-year waiting period. One may be able to receive Medicaid n the meantime, if one also receives SSI or meets the income and asset limits of the SSI program. In Florida, enrollment in Medicaid is automatic with SSI approval, and there is no waiting period.

      • How much do they give u for sis in flordia

        • In Florida, the maximum SSI benefit is just the federal maximum: $733 per month for an eligible individual and $1,100 for an eligible individual with an eligible spouse, plus food assistance through SUNCAP. Florida does not have a general state supplement to SSI the way some states do. Florida has an Optional State Supplementation, but that is only for people in residential treatment facilities such as group homes or assisted living.

  4. Thank you again.

  5. Dawn Tague // March 30, 2016 at 1:55 am // Reply

    I decided to move from Michigan to Florida and I am on SSI. I moved for health reasons but am concerned I won’t get Medicaid any more because everyone I’ve spoken to here says oh they’ll say you’ll get it…but you wont. I need insurance severly. They also say Florida ssi doesn’t give you what you received in MI. Do I just go to Social Security building..walk in and they’ll see me?

    • Florida, like Michigan, grants Medicaid automatically to SSI recipients. The SSI benefit amount should not change, because they are federal benefits. Other states may offer additional benefits that Florida does not. Florida offers food assistance through SUNCAP. You can walk in to a Social Security office, but you may have a shorter wait if you make an appointment by calling 1-800-772-1213. Here is more information about Medicaid in Florida.

  6. I currently live in PA moving to Tampa fl in July. My son receives ssi. But they do go by my income to determine what I will get for him monthly … Is that how it is in Florida…?

  7. Ok thanks for your help

  8. What is the maxium amount you can recieve with ssi and ssd payment together?

    • The maximum SSI benefit payment is $733 per month in 2016. If you have low SSDI benefits (for instance because you have not worked much recently) , then SSI can bring your monthly benefit up to $733, but not higher. (You also have to meet the asset limits and other requirements of SSI.)

      • Holly Lussier // January 19, 2017 at 8:01 pm // Reply

        I receive $650 a month for social security disability and then $102 a month for ssi. I am about to be on my own and have to pay bills on my own. Is the maximum amount of $733 for ssi only or is it the combined amount of both benefits?

        • The federal benefit rate for a single eligible adult is $735 per month in 2017. So a person who is on Supplemental Security Income (SSI) only receives $735 per month from SSI. A person who receives $650 per month from Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) and is otherwise eligible for SSI would normally receive an additional $85 per month from SSI to bring them up to the federal benefit rate. Some people receive more because they live in a state that has an optional state supplement, where the state adds on to the SSI amount.

  9. Steven Bowley // April 13, 2016 at 8:14 pm // Reply

    I’m moving to Florida from Massachusetts I get ssdi I get 860 dollars how much will I receive in Florida what is Floridas Supplements Pay mass pays 137 dollars

    • Unfortunately, Florida does not have a general state supplement to SSI the way Massachusetts does, so SSI recipients in Florida get the federal benefits only (maximum $733/mo. in 2016) plus food assistance through SUNCAP. Florida has an Optional State Supplementation, but that is only for people in residential treatment facilities such as group homes or assisted living.

  10. I am 45 years old and received an award letter for SSDI on my own income but I just found out my ex-husband has been collecting SSDI and SSI for several years. I have not remarried. Will SSDI be paid to me based on his income or my own?

  11. SSI in Leesburg is saying my ex husbands {also collecting SSDI and SSI} income will be counted as mutual income because we both live on my sons land. We do not share living quarters at all. We only have the same ” yard” with the RV my daughter and I live in and the trailer he stays with my son. Is this correct of them?

    • Generally speaking, a person in this type of situation would want to emphasize that they live in a separate household. Things like separate rental agreements, separate electric bills, etc. may be helpful.

  12. Kimmarie Butler // April 16, 2016 at 6:12 pm // Reply

    How long does SSI process usually take?
    Thank you

    • The decision on an initial application is usually made in about 60 days. If the decision is favorable, then it may take Social Security another 30-60 days to process the approval and start making payments. However, if the initial application is denied, then the appeal time can be lengthy. The steps in the appeal process are described here. The current wait time for a hearing in Tampa is about 16 months. I recommend hiring an attorney if you receive a denial. (Your attorney is paid from your back pay if you win.)

  13. I currently recieve ssi if i divorce will it go down? Also If I were to marry another guy that receives ssdi would it affect me and him?

    • For your first question, the answer depends on whether your current spouse has any income. When you live with a spouse, some of their income counts against you in terms of the income limits for SSI, so if that is the case and you are receiving less than the federal maximum of $733/month, then your benefits could increase if you divorce. However, any alimony you receive would also count toward the income limits. As for a future marriage to a person receiving SSDI, their benefits should not decrease because SSDI (unlike SSI) does not have the same income limits. But, just like the previous marriage, your spouse’s income could count against you in terms of the SSI income limits. You can call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 for more information.

  14. My family and I are preparing to move to Orlando from St. Louis. My fiancé receives 1160.00 in disability and my daughter receives 733.00 in disability and the daughter we have together receives 594.00 in payment from his disability will this change when we moved to Florida. Also I planned on continuing to work will I be eligible to receive foodstamps or will I be cut off because I receive too much already. Thank you.

    • Social Security disability benefits should not change when you move to another state, as they are federal benefits. As for SUNCAP food assistance in Florida, there are income limits to be eligible. You can learn more here or call 1-866-762-2237 for more information.

  15. My family and I are moving from NJ to Florida. I collect SSDI. Do I have to call Florida Agency to tell them about my move? Am I eligible to receive Suncap food assistance? Does my monthly check changes when I move to Florida? Do I get the medicare insurance?

    • You do have to inform Social Security of your change of address, which you can do online or by calling 1-800-772-1213. SUNCAP is food assistance for people who receive SSI. You may be eligible for general food assistance if you meet the eligibility requirements, including making less than 200% of the federal poverty level. The amount of your federal benefits will not change when you move from one state to another. Generally, people who receive SSDI are eligible for Medicare 2 years after their eligibility date, and moving to another state will not change that.

  16. I am in my first appeal for disability at the age of 31. I have two young children, which one has medical issues. I have a lawyer and I haven’t even heard anything from them since last year and they don’t return messages. I was wondering if I can apply for ssi also while I’m in the appeals process for disability because I am responsible for my children, but haven’t had an income since December 2014.

    • Usually, if there is a possibility that you are eligible for both SSDI and SSI, then you will apply for both types of benefits as part of the same process. However, the determination process is not faster for one or the other. Your attorney should answer your questions. If you’re not satisfied with your attorney, you have the right to fire them and hire someone else.

  17. If my daughter gets SSDI and SSI can she get SUNCAP? Or is SUNCAP only for people who just get SSI?

    • SUNCAP is food assistance that is available to people on SSI, without the need for an additional application. Receiving both SSDI and SSI should not affect the ability to receive SUNCAP, but general food assistance is available even for people who do not receive SSI. So as long as your daughter meets the income and other eligibility requirements, she should be able to receive either SUNCAP or general food assistance. The application is here.

      • I applied with that form and they only signed me up for SNAP instead and I needed SUNCAP. Is there another way to contact SUNCAP by mail?

        • Both SNAP and SUNCAP are food assistance. My understanding is that if you are on SSI, they may or may not automatically move you from SNAP to SUNCAP. You can call the Florida Department of Children and Families at 1-866-762-2237 for more information.

  18. Hi I live in Michigan I am on SSi and SS. I make $753.00 a month. I also get Medicaid , Medicare. When I move will I be cut from any of this or will my pay still be the same. I also get some food stamps here also. Also how would I go to get all of this stuff done can I do it before I move thro the mail or do I have to wait till I get down there to change all my stuff over

    • When moving to another state, the federal benefits will not change. Any additional state supplemental benefits depend on the state you live in. In Florida, food assistance is available. You can let Social Security know your change of address by calling 1-800-772-1213.

  19. I believe I will qualify for SSI once I go to my hearing. It will retro to June of 2012 according to SSI laws. Location, Florida

    1.Do both my children receive retro from that date?
    2.Will they both receive payments until they are 19 and 2 months as long as they are in school?
    3.Will the retro for my now 18 year old go to him or go to me?
    4.What amount will I receive per child if I am receiving SSI?
    5.Will I receive anything per child if I was receiving child support for them?
    6.Is it fact, the cap my lawyer will receive is 25% or $6000, whichever is LOWER from my back pay?
    7.While receiving SSI, Am I allowed to own one home and one vehicle?
    8.Does the value of my vehicle affect my SSI or Medicare? I know the value of my vehicle affects Medicaid.
    9.I’m aware you must wait three months after your hearing for a decision to come via mail. If the decision is in my favor to receive SSI, How long does it take to begin receiving monthly benefits and back pay?

    Thank you for your time.

    • If you’re represented by an attorney, you should ask your attorney these questions. They will have better answers since they know the facts of your case. That is especially true for your first five questions. The answers to those questions also depend on whether you are claiming that just you are disabled, or one or more children are disabled as well. Here are answers to your other questions, which are more general:

      6. Yes, that is what can be paid directly to your attorney by Social Security, so that is the usual fee agreement. However, you should refer to the fee agreement you signed with your attorney.

      7. Yes.

      8. No. One vehicle that you use for transportation is excluded from the resource limits, regardless of its value.

      9. Judges vary in how long it takes them to issue a written decision after a hearing, but three months is a good estimate. After the written decision has been issued, then the local office is supposed to process it within 60 days and start payments.

  20. Hello, I’ve stumbled upon your forum searching for some much needed information, and you seem to be very well informed of everything that everyone asks.

    I have a couple simple questions and for you to answer would be so kind.

    1.) I was approved the beginning of April 2016 for my SSI. They told me when the judge said I was approved that it would be 30-90 days for me to receive something in the mail letting me know direct deposit information for back pay and future benefit deposits.

    2.) They also stated that I would get Medicare and from what I’m reading it takes up to 2 years to get?

    My family just got served with a notice to vacate (Not an eviction notice) from our current landlord because they are tired of having to make repairs in our unit to the air conditioner (Florida is hot all year round) and we are poor. My husband is the only one who works because I am obviously unable. We have 3 children and it is impossible for us to find new housing within the 15 days they are giving us to vacate. (We got the letter to vacate May 1st taped to our door.)

    Should I contact a lawyer about this? I’ve been frantically trying to find any low income housing available, looking at just about everything we can try to afford but South Florida is too expensive to live here and we can’t leave because this is our home and I have issues with even leaving the house sometimes from anxiety and fear.

    I appreciate your help and if there is a phone number that can be contacted to expedite the back pay so we can try to find a place to move much more quickly I would appreciate any knowledge or information you might have for me.

    Thank you so very kindly,

    • I am sorry to hear that you are in this situation and I am happy to help if I can. To answer your questions:

      1. Once the judge issues a written decision in your case, then your local Social Security office is supposed to process payments within 60 days. As soon as the written decision has been issued, you can start asking your local office for updates. Local Social Security offices do not publicize their phone numbers, but the judge’s written decision should include the local number, or you can call the general number: 1-800-772-1213.

      2. Medicare comes with SSDI and you get it 2 years after the date your disability began. Medicaid comes with SSI and you get it as soon as you get your SSI benefits.

      As for the housing issue, yes you should seek legal help. An attorney may be able to help you stop or delay the eviction. You can search for a legal aid organization in your area at floridalawhelp.org.

  21. After a couok months trying to get the state of florida to understand I am divorced and not living with my ex-husband they finally got it! I see they have figured they owe me 2199.00 in back SSI benefits { 625.50} monthly .. DO they send me a check for that full amount or break it down so I don’t exceed the monthly income limit?

    • When SSI back payments would exceed 3 times the maximum federal benefit rate (FBR), then they are paid in installments 6 months apart (not more than 3 installments though). The current monthly FBR is $733, so back payments of more than $2,199 would be broken down into installments, with the first being for $2,199. The fact that you mention that exact figure makes me think that maybe the $2,199 payment you are getting might be just your first installment? Either way, the amount of $2,199 would not need to be broken down into further installments.

      • It just says that amount and ” one time payment” Also I don’t have a bank account until I receive a check . Is that going to just come as a paper check in my mail box? Or is there something I should do right away to get that payment?

  22. Hello, I have a question my daughter has been disabled since she was 5, she is 21 now we live in Florida , her payments for ssdi are so low she could not survive on it. Most people I have talked to who are receiving payments for their disability receive 733 she only receives 400 she has never worked and cant so I am wondering why hers is so low for her. She lives with us.

    • If she has never worked, then the benefits would be SSI, not SSDI. The maximum SSI federal benefit for an individual is $733 per month. One reason this amount may be reduced is if Social Security determines that the SSI recipient lives in someone else’s household and does not pay their share of food and shelter. (The idea is that if they are getting free rent then they don’t need as much of a benefit.) If this is the reason your daughter’s payment is reduced, then you may be able to fix it by proving to Social Security that your daughter pays you for food and shelter, for instance by showing them a signed rental agreement. More info is here.

  23. im mildly retarted and my mom uses the ssi money to pay bills and they dont count that as paying rent can they do that

  24. i mean they said that doesnt count and i get less

    • Assuming you are over the age of 18, then your SSI benefit may be reduced because Social Security sees you as not paying for the food and shelter you receive at home. More info is here. You may be able to fix this, for example by showing Social Security a written rental agreement that shows you pay rent to your mother.

  25. Hello I have a question, I live n Delaware and I was looking to move to Florida in October and I receive SSI which is $733 I wanted to know will my benefits go down or will it remains the same.

    • When moving to another state, the federal benefits will not change. It will still be $733 per month. The only thing that may change is any additional state supplemental benefits, which depend on the state you live in. In Florida, there is no supplemental cash benefit, but SUNCAP food assistance is available.

  26. Thank you your answer helped me a lot.

  27. Hi, I live in New York and I’m moving to Florida in July. I’m currently receiving SSDI. My question is can I apply for Snap/medicaid before moving in July? I currently receive Snap and have medicaid here in NY.

    • Here is a link to information about how to apply for Medicaid and food assistance in Florida. Both programs require you to be a Florida resident, and I am not aware of a way to apply before you move, but you can call 1-866-762-2237 to ask.

  28. Hi, my boyfriend has stage 4 cancer and gets SSDI of $1,250, we have a disabled child together who also gets $650 using his SSDI claim and because she is also disabled. Would I get benefits if we were married? And would those benefits take away from what my daughters gets since she is collecting on his benefits now? Thanks

    • Yes, if you were married and helping to care for your daughter, and your daughter is under 16 years old or disabled, then you could be eligible for benefits up to 50% of your husband’s amount. However, the total amount your family would be able to receive would be limited by the maximum family benefit, which would be determined by Social Security based on a formula that takes into account your husband’s past earnings. The maximum family benefit is usually between 150% and 180% of the disabled worker’s benefit amount, so for your family the maximum would probably be somewhere between what the family currently receives and $2,250. If you were entitled to benefits but your family was limited by the family maximum, then your husband’s benefit amount would not be reduced, but yours and your daughter’s would be reduced proportionally.

  29. Jackie Zufall // May 26, 2016 at 7:31 pm // Reply

    Hello Brendan, I have a question, I am not sure you are able to help me with the answer, but thought good place to start is here where you have answered some good questions for others.

    I am 56 and on SSI, due to my disability I am not able to live on my own as I need help with even some of the simplest things, anyway my daughter is my 24/7 caregiver and here in Illinois at least until I am the age of 59, the state of Illinois pays her to be my caregiver, which is great as she has two little ones to support as well. We have talked about moving to Florida and my question to you is, as not ALL states will pay family members to be caregivers, would you know if Florida has a program that will…as she obviously needs an income for her family, but I can’t be left alone for long periods of time…Thanks for any advice you can come up with!

  30. I am in florida and uabe always worked. I have never collected unemployment. I am applying for disability and I have a 8 year child. What should I do and how much will they give me? Will it be enough to survive?

    • You can apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits online here. If you are denied after the first application, then a Social Security disability attorney may be able to help. If you are in the Tampa Bay area, feel free to contact us. Working people pay into the Social Security system with their taxes and so are eligible for SSDI. The amount of your benefit depends on how much you earned. You can see how much your disability benefit would be by creating or logging into a my Social Security account. Additionally, a dependent child under the age of 18 can receive up to 50% of your benefit amount.

  31. Confused and annoyed // May 31, 2016 at 9:58 pm // Reply

    I am suppose to get SSI this month but SSDI says I will receive 498 in July for June. I am aware that the SSI payments will drop and SSDI should remain the same but for some unknown reason Food Assistance has it as I am going to get 498$ SSDI and 625.50 SSI this month. When I look on the my social sec site it has dropped my SSDI to 0 and just has my ssi as 625.50 for June. NOW I have lost Medicaid but unsure why This is very confusing and I cant seem to find any answers in any of the papers or books I have received. Can you please explain to me how this works and if it all sounds right?

    • No, that does not sound right. At the very least, it sounds like the Social Security site is showing something different from what you have been informed of. There are various reasons why SSDI or SSI may be lowered. If Social Security lowers your benefits, they have to tell you why. If you received a notice in the mail, it should state a reason. You can call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and ask for an explanation. If you disagree with the decision, you can appeal it. When Social Security tries to lower your SSI, if you appeal within 10 days of receiving the notice, your benefits may continue at the same amount until a decision is made on your appeal.

  32. My daughter is moving back to Florida from Australia. In Australia she receives disability due to her medical issues. Can her disability from Australia transferred to Florida? If not what does she need to apply in Florida?

    • The U.S. and Australia have an international agreement on Social Security, so transferring eligibility may be possible. This Social Security webpage has more information about the U.S.-Australia agreement, and having a claim in one country considered for benefits in the other country, including how to apply for U.S. benefits from Australia. The full agreement is here. Information at the first link above indicates that one can apply for U.S. benefits in Australia at a Centrelink Customer Service Center, so she may wish to inquire there about transferring eligibility.

      From the U.S., you can apply for SSDI benefits online, and apply for SSI benefits by calling 1-800-772-1213.

  33. I am suppose to be getting both SSDI of 498 and some SSI From what I understand. My questions are based on my SSDI amount how much SSI am I to recieve? { I have no other income} and would I get payments from two places as in two different checks or one check?

  34. I plan on moving from Missouri to florida for health reasons. I’m on SSI & I receive EBT. What is Florida’s monthly ssi payment?

    • Florida’s monthly SSI payment is just the federal benefit rate of $733, unless you live in an adult family care home or assisted living facility, in which case you may be eligible for the additional state supplement of $78.40. Food assistance is also available.

  35. I was hurt just over a year ago on the job. I’m now told that I have received my MMI from the the doctors and they have me as no walk standing etc. For until I have no more pain. They told me I could apply for Ssi but I’m only 34 and scared that I have no job and no way to work at the types of jobs Im only good at. Standing walking etc. Is there a chance I can get ssi cant wait like most. So best way or getting ssi and how long does it take?

    • One thing to know is that there are two types of Social Security disability benefits: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). You mentioned SSI, but if you have worked enough in recent years, you may have paid enough into the system to qualify for SSDI benefits, which may be a higher amount. You can find out the amount your benefit payments would be by creating or logging into a My Social Security account. If you are disabled but don’t have enough work credits for SSDI, you can still get SSI if you have limited income and resources.

      You can apply for SSDI online, but for SSI you have to call 1-800-772-1213 to schedule an appointment. If you apply and get denied, contact a Social Security disability attorney in your area. (If you’re in the Tampa Bay area, call me.)

      One more thing: you mention being hurt on the job, so I hope you also applied for workers’ compensation. You can receive both SSDI and workers’ compensation at the same time, but the total is limited to 80 percent of your income when you were fully employed.

  36. Thank you so much for the reply. I was part time and went throught comp. They gave me knee surgery and have basically cut me off now that Im at my MMI. They stated that they knew that my job didn’t not offer anything for my type of restrictions so they are seeing about buying me out of the job in a word. The year prior to injury I made just about 10k and it has been much less. I’m not looking for a hand out, just a helping hand I put into the system while I could and will continue as long as I can. Yet as you can see the time I’m just worried about the future. And might just go back to school. Thank you for your time. Jon

  37. Anonymous // July 4, 2016 at 7:55 am // Reply

    Can you get disability and work at 61 yrs.Old.

    • A disabled person may be eligible for Social Security disability benefits (SSDI or SSI) anytime before reaching full retirement age. However, one of the requirements for being found disabled is that you are not working at the level of substantial gainful activity, which generally means not earning more than a certain amount per month ($1,130 in 2016).

  38. Rose Jones // July 6, 2016 at 1:44 pm // Reply

    I’m currently receiving ssi $733 once a month. Will that income go up if i was to move to Florida?

  39. When your child has been on SSI for their own disability and they turn 18, how long does it take to get SSDA approved? Did the application back in May and they just now asked for the daily questionnaire to be filled out, which I just mailed out yesterday.

    • There is no set time for age 18 redeterminations to be completed. Social Security states only that “we usually do this review during the one-year period that begins on your child’s 18th birthday,” but there is no regulation requiring them to complete the redetermination during that period. Also, if the redetermination results in denial, then you have the right to appeal (and the right to request that benefits continue while you appeal, if you appeal within 10 days), and the appeal can be a lengthy process.

      • Ok so they can take a long time? I ask because she is still getting SSI and that changed from the child to adult one but since her dad has cancer they had me apply for her to get SSDA on his SSDA account, saying she could get more money from that than the SSI payment. But with that application, they are acting like this is a new disability case, like we have to prove she is disabled again, even though SSI already said she has been disabled for a while now. But another question, if for some reason SSDA says she is not disabled, will that affect her SSI case? Will they then say well SSDA said she is not disabled, so now we find her not disabled? I assumed when I went to her SSI adult review, that the SSDA application was to simply change the money from one program to the other and not have some redetermination. Or is this normal and I should not worry?

        • Any time a disabled child receiving SSI turns 18, Social Security will at some point do a complete review where essentially the disability has to be proved again, because there are different disability standards for adults than for children. So that would be happening regardless.

          When you say SSDA, I think you mean Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), and it sounds like your child would be filing for disabled adult child benefits on her father’s record. That is a good idea, because as they mentioned, it may result in higher benefits. However, that also goes by the same adult standard for disability, so that redetermination would happen either way. Often when you are applying for SSDI and SSI simultaneously, you are getting notices related to both and it can be confusing.

  40. I’m sure this has been answered already, but I’ve probably managed to miss it somehow:

    I was recieving the $315 via SSI and $438 via SSDI until this month. Payment for SSDI was halted with no word, no warning, no notification at all. This has left me in quite a bind and owing quite a bit on bills that were budgeted. Is there any way to recover the amount lost from disability or am I now saddled with a $315 monthly income? Please, help! (Also, thank you for being so kind and informative to everyone asking questions. Oftentimes, we call or come into the offices to be greeted with rude and condescending attitudes. We are all people and those of us forced to live on SSI/SSDI usually don’t want to and didn’t expect to have to live this way. So, kudos Brendan Conley!)

    • Glad I can help. I know it is frustrating dealing with the Social Security bureaucracy.

      Your benefits should never stop with no warning. Typically you will get a letter stating what is going to happen and why, and it will also state the fact that you have the right to appeal that decision. One thing you can do is call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 or go into a local office and say that apparently a decision was made to stop your SSDI benefits and you want to file an appeal of that decision. Normally as part of that process you would refer to the date on the notice of decision you received, but you can tell them you never received a notice. Filing an appeal will trigger another look at your case. If a mistake was made, it may be corrected, or at least you will be informed of what the decision was and you can appeal it.

  41. Yes is has been confusing, but you have helped me a lot. Thank you.

  42. I am in TX and have been disabled for 30 years but received SSDI benefits for about 19 years, since 1996. After medicare is taken out, I only get 925 per month DD. Does that mean I will never qualify for SSI? And does it matter if I live with my 2 adult children? I was told I only qualify for only 8 to TEN dollars in food benefits and that I don’t qualify for medicaid because of their part time income. Also I don’t qualify for SSI because my SSDI is more than 733. And dont qualify for HUD because theres a 4 yr wait list. I could be dead by then. I was also told if I COULD work for someone else, that I could only make 750 per month for 9 months. If I make 1174 GROSS not net, then they take out one dollar for every 2 dollars I make but let me keep medicare. On the other hand, if I work self employed which is my only option, if I make 400 GROSS PER YEAR, and work 20 hours PER MONTH, they take away all of my 925 benefits bcuz it’s considered substantial gainful employment. What sense does that make? So I don’t know how anyone can make the max benefit of (2300 something). My rent here is 850/MO and going up at the end of August along with everything else.

    Who the hell made up these minimum amounts and how do we get them changed? When was this minimum number set in place? I would love to work but can’t. It’s so depressing and just makes disability worse with the constant financial stress. I can’t take meds but I can’t even afford to eat much less spend 40 bucks a month on vitamins that seemed to be helping somewhat. Nobody can live this way and I’m convinced the system is designed to pick everybody off. Can u please confirm these numbers or clarify them? I’ve watched all the ticket to work videos with SS and they are so incredibly deceptive. They say you can keep benefits but its only medicare, not the money you get to live on. Medicare covers nothing because the doctors I need wont take medicare, so its just a big scam.

    I am a single mom and am having a very hard time. Cant sit or stand more than a few minutes much less walk more than 10 feet without resting because my hips are all messed up. All this because my spinal column is basically disintegrating from the metal corrosion from harrington rods (T2-L4) when I was 17 causing all sorts of horrible problems. There was a recall 4 years later but nobody told me. Now its 36 plus years and I’m totally disabled. Finally received a car tag 6 months ago. Revision surgery to have them removed guarantees paralysis. Nothing anyone can do.

    Also, I thought about crowd funding to help pay for medical and living expenses, abd trying to work from home online but all those are self employment opptys IF you can find legitimite ones….but was told that any crowd funding like Go Fund Me would be considered income and taxable on top of that. So where does that leave ppl like me? One woman i saw over the internet who had ppl contribute 50k for a single mom who was battling cancer got a 19,000 bill from the IRS. That’s just sick. Our tax dollars at work, meanwhile congress gets millions in salaries and free healthcare.

    Posting all these questions so other ppl know how impossible they make it for anyone to even try and to get clarification. I didn’t read any other posts that went into this area. This is the only blog I found that answers ppl so thank you and please answer asap.

    • I understand your frustration. I agree that Social Security benefits are too low and need to be expanded. Organizations like Social Security Works and the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare are organizing to pressure Congress to expand benefits. Getting involved with such organizations and contacting your representatives in Congress is the best way to help make a change.

      As for the specifics of your situation, generally speaking, as an SSDI and Medicare beneficiary receiving more than $733 per month in SSDI benefits, you would not be eligible for SSI or Medicaid. And there are strict limits on how much you can work, because not being able to work is one of the requirements of getting disability benefits.

      Gifts or donations from GoFundMe or another source would not affect your SSDI benefits because it is not income from working. However, it would have to be reported to the IRS appropriately like any other kind of income.

      The Ticket to Work program may still be helpful for you. It’s important to note that the first nine months that you work is considered a trial work period and your benefits are not reduced. This pdf has more information.

  43. Thank you for taking the time to respond and providing the information and links on the organizations. I will look into them and hopefully offer my own info to affect change. The system is designed to oppress and imprison, from my experience. Very depressing but some good has to come of it all. At least this is a starting point. Thanks again.

    • Don’t give up hope. It has often been necessary, both historically and individually, for people to fight for the benefits they deserve. The struggle is often successful.

  44. Thank you Brandon. It’s obvious you’re the type of person who genuinely cares about ppl and not just another lawyer who rushes you off the phone the second they know they can’t make a quick buck.Very bad experiences with attorneys in the past so I’m appreciative of your time and sensitivities. I’m sure I speak for all of us asking questions when I say how grateful we are that you take time to answer questions and in detail the way you have in these posts. God bless you for your efforts.

  45. Are you automatically approved Food Stamps if you receive SSI/SSDI ?

    • Each state has different rules for food stamps, but every state has income and asset limits. In Florida, SSI recipients can receive food assistance through SUNCAP without an additional application. SSDI recipients might be eligible for food stamps if they meet the income and asset limits.

  46. I lived in Florida,now living with my daughter in Massachusetts
    I recently filed for SSI.& SSDI
    I have a lawyer in Florida
    Wanting to be closer to my family I moved
    I have to pay for my own food and pay rent to my daughter
    How much do you have to pay rent for to qualify?
    my daughter knows I am not
    That I.will not be getting much
    My meds are over $300 a month.
    I pay for a room ,for using water and electric and washing clothes
    A month room 300
    Will that change my rate from the 733
    because I live with my daughter and pay low rent

    • To be eligible for either SSDI or SSI, you must be found disabled. For SSI, there are additional financial requirements: generally speaking, you must have less than $2,000 in resources (except one car and your house do not count), and income of less than $733 per month. SSI will pay a benefit that brings your income up to $733 per month. The amount that you pay for food and shelter is only a factor if you are receiving food and shelter that you are not paying for, in which case Social Security may reduce your benefit by one third. If Social Security found that you are paying your own food and shelter costs, then this would not affect you.

  47. RONNIE Martin // August 14, 2016 at 12:24 pm // Reply

    SSI and SSA benefits goin up in 2017 yes or no.

  48. Lawton Jeffcoat // September 2, 2016 at 10:17 am // Reply

    Do i need a lawyer for my ssi case? Is it better to have a lawyer represent me?

    • A lawyer is recommended. The Social Security Administration often issues a denial on the initial application, even on strong cases where the disability should be approved. A lawyer can figure out what’s missing and file an appeal with new evidence and represent you in a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ).

      Most attorneys in this field are not paid unless they win your case for you, and then they are paid 25 percent of your back pay, up to a maximum of $6,000, which is withheld from your back pay and paid directly to the lawyer by Social Security. Going forward, the benefits are 100 percent yours.

  49. Lawton Jeffcoat // September 2, 2016 at 8:54 pm // Reply

    Thank you brendan for your quick reply and for all your assistance. You took the time to explain to me the potential battle that lay ahead. Sir i will gladly agree to those terms.
    And i now know who i will be calling to be my lawyer. Thank you.

    Kind regards, Lj

  50. I am 71 yrs old I am recieving retirement benefits the amount I recieve is so low $540 per month it is so low that I have to continue working which is so painful as I have been diagnose with Osteoarthritis. If I stop working completely.Will my retirement benefit increase?

    • If you are receiving Social Security retirement benefits, then once you have reached full retirement age, whether you are working or not has no effect on that benefit amount. However, if you only received $540 per month in Social Security retirement benefits, and you had no other income, then you might also be eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), which could bring your total benefit up to $733 per month.

  51. My daughter had her child to adult review for SSI, can she still get SS under her fathers SSDI even she lives with her father? I ask because she was getting SSDI and SSI and now only gets SSI since her adult transition and actually they stopped her SSDI for two months when she turned 18 until her review was done and don;t they owe her those months in back pay since they found her disabled as a baby?

    • It sounds like your daughter was getting SSI based on her own disability in addition to benefits as the dependent of her father who receives SSDI. If that is the case, then the dependent SSDI benefits stop at age 18. The SSI adult transition is a separate matter, to determine whether she will continue to receive SSI under the stricter rules for adults. As for back pay, for SSI you only receive back payments back to the application date.

  52. Also, since she is 18 now, I was told to get a bank account for her money, that it could not still be deposited into my account but the SS person I keep speaking to don;t make it clear enough. The SS office still made me her representative because she can’t take care of her own money but she is too mentally disabled to open an account on her own, can’t sign anything and I would be the one needing to get the money and spend it for her. So if it has to be her account with her name only how does one set that up? They said not to make it a trust account, must be a checking account in just her name.

    • I recommend reading this Social Security document on being a representative payee. The document states that the account should be in the beneficiary’s name (your daughter), with the representative payee (you) listed as the financial agent. For instance, “(Your name), as representative payee for (Beneficiary’s name).”

      • Thank you, you have been so helpful, more so than the SS office who gives me either no answers or a different one every time I ask a question. Very frustrating. Now they finally got my daughters SSDI and SSI approved ok but they sent out the wrong amount of back pay. They still owe her more so I guess I just need to complain about that. They make it more difficult than it should be. Both SS programs should get together and send out one check each month instead of two.

        • I agree that people working for Social Security are not always as helpful as one would hope. The SSA needs more administrative funding, some of which should definitely go to improve training!

          Yes, if you got the wrong amount of back pay, then follow up with them. It is not unusual for them to recalculate back payments to correct errors. If they make a final decision on back pay that you feel is in error, then you can appeal it.

          Yes, one check would be easier for beneficiaries. SSDI and SSI come from two separate parts of the federal budget, which is the reason for the sometimes confusing two checks.

  53. Roger dale bowen // September 17, 2016 at 3:35 pm // Reply

    Hi I currently live in Portland Oregon and have lived here for quite some time get Social Security at the amount of $649 and for SSI I get $104 how much if any does it increase or decrease for me if I move to Panama City Florida thank you for your help

    • Florida does not have a state supplement for SSI (except a small one for people who live in assisted living or adult care homes). Therefore in Florida SSI recipients get only the federal maximum of $733 per month, or in the case of someone receiving Social Security disability, the amount necessary to bring them up to $733 per month.

  54. hi i am 60yrs old now i went on ssdi at 56 due to heart and lungs. and chf. and blood clots. 2 heart attacks and 3way bypass. ive been on medicare for 4 yrs. i have been paying 104.00 a month out of my check. i recieve 2094. per month in mt bank from ssdi. now in 2017 what will change money wise for me. plus i have brain damage from surgerys. memory and thinking issuses. and i live in the bay area not cheap at all . i lost all monies due to medical bills, i have nothing but 2094. a month very hard to pay rent and live on this amount and how can i get any more money. pls i need help. very stess out when younger i had it all now nothing. due to medical i loss 3 rental home everything. p.s. most of this happen in 2007 2008 wallstreet screwed me to. thank-you

    • Unfortunately, if there is a cost-of-living adjustment for 2017, it is likely to be small, so Social Security benefits will probably not increase by much. (We won’t know for sure until later in October.)

      One thing we all need to do is organize to put pressure on our elected representatives to expand Social Security benefits. Groups like Social Security Works and the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare are doing this work and need our help.

      On an individual level, one benefit that is often overlooked is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) program (food stamps). Households that have an elderly or disabled member can usually deduct certain expenses and use their net income to qualify.

  55. I receive concurrent benefits.. my SSDI is 498 a month. I was approved disability with an onset date of 1/1/2016. I never received anything from SSA or ssi until may (2199.00). The amount SSI have me until I got SSDI was625.50. am I due another back pay from SSI and if so since I received the first check in may when would I be getting the second one? I hope this makes sense. Thank you for your help! It’s all very confusing still and Leesburg SSI is not very helpful!

    • When your SSI back pay is more than three times the maximum federal benefit rate ($733 x 3 = $2,199), then Social Security will pay in not more than three installments, spaced 6 months apart. The first and second installments cannot be for more than $2,199, and the third installment is for the remainder. Installments apply only to SSI, not SSDI. However, SSI is often processed faster than SSDI for concurrent beneficiaries, so you may have gotten your SSI back pay and your SSDI back pay is still being calculated. This Social Security webpage has more information.

  56. myself & my husband receive ssdi.. my father passed last year & I just found out he left me a inheritance..How much can I keep from it or how will this affect my ssdi? Will it hurt my husband’s money? Is there a limit for this ?

  57. Albert Berry // October 30, 2016 at 1:15 am // Reply

    If a husband under 62 becomes permenantly disabled due to severe medical issues and receives SSDI does his wife, who is also under 62 and his designated caregiver, receive a portion of his SSDI as well?

  58. My Brother lives with me and my husband he is 50 and just started to receive his SSDI he has severe mental illness, and has to wait 2 yrs for medicare, and now medicaid says he has to pay for his first 1377.00 before they will cover him. Is there a waiver for medicare or medicaid I can apply for in his behalf?. Hes on alot of psychotic medicines. Judge order that he had to have a payee which is me. Thank you so much

  59. Can I ask the Judge who awarded my brother his SSDI if he could do an Addendum to the awarded SSDI to add Medicare benefits also to start immediately without the 2 year waiting period ? I spoke with SSA at the office and said that the Judge could do this ?

    Thank you

    • The only exceptions to the two year waiting period that I am aware of are for people with end-stage renal disease with kidney failure or people with ALS. During the waiting period, the other options are trying to qualify for Medicaid, purchasing private health insurance, or making use of any state or local programs available.

  60. Linda Seaborn // November 5, 2016 at 7:28 am // Reply

    Why did you stop my adult disabled daughter’s food stamps or Suncap? (Florida) just because she moved in with her mother. Who lives in Panama City, Florida too. She is 47 years, old mentally challenged, 100 percent disabled, receives Medicaid and Medicare.
    She has very little income a little over $700, a month She still has to eat and I am 100 percent disabled, on a limited income and having to buy her food now . It’s just not fair. Help please!!!

  61. I am having trouble with Leesburg SSI again and need legal advice.
    I was found disabled in January 16. I was babysitting and being paid so I reported it when I had files for SSI.
    I then stopped babysitting in April. Of course I reported that.
    The man who handles my case told me to fax a hand written letter with that information and the date I stopped. I did.. months later nothing had changed so I went to the office and gave a letter. Each time I contacted them they told me that was all they needed. Still nothing changed! I have called several times getting and got told they had the paperwork but it wasn’t completed by the man who handles my case!
    Yesterday the man called me.. told me he sees the paperwork is in my files then says .. ” you need to get the IRS to say you’re not working”.
    I babysat them kids 4 months! I was told what to do and did it several times and now they tell me they want more. I am angry and wondering how I can get such a letter from the IRS and if I need to get a attorney? I feel like they are just not wanting to give me the money due to me. Please give me advice.

    ( I am receiving 498 SSD and 137.50 from SSI. )

    Thank you so much!

    • As you are not my client and I don’t know your whole situation, I cannot give you legal advice, just general information. Dealing with the local Social Security offices can be frustrating. Try to keep records of everything, including who you talk to, and try to talk to the most helpful people there. Any decision made on your case should be in writing and the letter should state that you have the right to appeal the decision, which you should do if you do not agree with it.

      • I took your advice and called demanding to speak with a supervisor. The man who answered the phone was the one who works on my”case” . He was very snappy and rude until I let him know I was calling to question his performance and what he had previously told me. Suddenly he was able to readjust the amount and issue a back pay owed to me. Thanks so much! Your help and advice has helped me a great deal!

  62. I haven’t worked in a few years, will this affect my eligibility? I stayed home to take care of my son, so my ex and I “paid into” the system and I now pay taxes on my alimony. Sorry if that is TMI.

    • Generally speaking, to be insured for the purposes of Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) benefits, you must have earned 40 “credits” (quarters of coverage), 20 of which were earned in the past 10 years. More information is here.

  63. Trecie Faye Linville // November 13, 2016 at 12:16 pm // Reply

    I live in Illinois I’m 40 years old and 100% disabled I currently receive 767 a month after my medicare premiums are taken out and I am moving to Missouri what will be my monthly payment there and how much is my premiums going to be in that state for Medicare

    • If you receive SSDI benefits, they will be the same regardless of which state you live in. If you receive SSI benefits, the federal maximum is $733 ($735 in 2017). Some states add an optional state supplement to that and some do not. (Sorry, I am in Florida and I don’t know if there is a state supplement in Illinois or Missouri.)

      Medicare premiums for Parts A and B are generally the same from state to state, but Medicare Advantage or Part D can vary.

  64. Why is it that some people don’t even have to work and they get disability as much as the ones who have worked because I’m barely getting by on what I get a month which is the $733. Is there a way to find out if I’m able to get more than what I am getting because I can barely get by with food and bills and I’m on Section 8 to help with the bills.

    • It’s true that someone who has not worked enough recently is in the same situation as someone who has never worked: they are not insured under Social Security disability insurance (SSDI), and so only Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is available. The $733 per month ($735 in 2017) payment is the federal SSI maximum for an individual. Unfortunately, the only way to get more from Social Security disability is if one is eligible for SSDI.

  65. Hey , I was received 733 monthly, I moved to Florida and they reduce my Ssi because I don’t show experience, I just come . What I need to do ?

    • Moving from one state to another should not affect your SSI eligibility, but you need to inform Social Security when you move. Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 to inform them of your new address and ask what else you need to do to receive your full benefits.

  66. James M Mahoney // December 3, 2016 at 10:16 am // Reply

    I was granted Oregon SSDI Aug, 2016 my attorney then said I should apply for SSI.I was granted approx $650 from SSDI and $600 from SSI.Three months later they send me a notice that I will now receive only $730 a month total between the two? I feel screwed and,don’t know how I’m going to live on this small amount,I have paid into SS much of my life.

    • The SSI program has income limits, and it will only pay enough to bring you up to the $733 per month federal maximum ($735 in 2017). Your SSDI benefits count as income. I’m sorry that was not explained to you at the time. It can also be confusing because sometimes the SSI and SSDI programs take some time to catch up with each other, but ultimately SSI will not stack on top of your SSDI, but will only pay you enough to bring you up to the SSI amount.

  67. I moved to an apartment and two of my children live with me now. My ssi is only$204 and my ssdi is 549. Are my children eligible for anything?

  68. Regina Killingsworth // December 17, 2016 at 10:11 pm // Reply


    I’m hoping you could answer a few questions for me. I would appreciate it greatly.
    I’m total disabled, I’m not able to drive. I had brain surgery 2 years ago. I have seizures.Every kind in medical history. I live by myself. My daughter has to take me to the doctor appointments, grocery store, drugstore, every where. She has 2 children & it’s hard for me and her as far as gas money and all the other things I have to have. Can she get anything for helping me. My rent is all my disability check but 53.00.I get EBT For food 163.00.If she’s not able to drive me my finance does,but he has to take off work without pay. They are the only one’s that I have to do these things for me. My finance and daughter fixes all my medication for me so I want forget to take them . Can either one of them receive a check for taking care of me.
    We live in Alabama does anything like that exist. I have no idea. I was reading about your help with other people. I hope that you can answer this question for me.

    • Medicaid has a program called Cash & Counseling, available in some states, that allows for family members to be paid caregivers. Here is an article about the program. In Alabama, this is called the Personal Choices Program. It is apparently only available in some counties. There is more information here.

  69. My now spouse received SSI in GA, we are same sex marriage, legal in our state. We are considering moving to FLa. I can Work but he can’t for medical reasons. Would that make any difference in FL state? Would his SSI would be taken just because I can work for a few more years?

    • The Supreme Court ruled in 2015 that all states must permit and recognize same-sex marriages, so there should be no difference between states.

      There are income and resource limits for the SSI program, and when a person receiving SSI disability benefits lives with their spouse (opposite sex or same sex), some of the spouse’s income may be counted toward those limits.

  70. Mr. Brendan Conley I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for helping all these people by answering their questions. I am a vocational disability examiner working for Disability Determination Services, and was curious when I stumbled upon this site.

    Much gratitude, sir.

  71. Jennifer Bourgelas // December 24, 2016 at 3:08 pm // Reply

    hi Brendan! SOOOOO glad I found this site! my situation is this…my brother in law was receiving SSI $433 while living with his mom n she was considered supporting him…she passed away in Feb of 2014 n he moved in with me n my husband. he changed his address with SS but only changed his living ARRANGEMENTS with DCF for his Medicaid n food stamps…he’s been paying us for his staying here n uses his food stamps for MOST of what he wants..
    today I found THIS about the one third rule..how do I go about correcting this with SSI n will they back pay? ALSO our concern is BECAUSE he only gets the tiny amount he does n we pretty much support him, my husband claimed him on our taxes..which I wouldn’t be SOOOOO concerned about IF we didn’t have $80k owed to the gov in CNC status n ALSO I claimed him to qualify(hopefully) for the “Extra Help”with my prescriptions.I’m on SSDI. WHERE do I start n is there gonna be PROBLEMS?

    • I can’t advise you on the tax issue, but the one-third reduction rule applies when someone receiving SSI receives both food and shelter from others living in the household. As long as the person pays their share (three people in the household means the person should pay one third of household expenses) and buys their own food with their food stamps, they should be able to receive the SSI maximum of $735 per month.

  72. thanks..how do I go about getting this corrected with SS and will they back pay?

    • He can call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and let them know that he needs to report different living arrangements. He may need to make an appointment to go into the local office and meet with a representative. I’m not sure if back pay would apply in this situation, but if his living situation changed some time ago, he can certainly let them know that and ask for his payments for previous months to be adjusted.

  73. also, HOW can he be PAYING one third of expenses if he only gets $460?

  74. Dennis Tomlin // January 12, 2017 at 1:39 pm // Reply


    I moved here from Al due t health reasons. In Al. i received financial assistance to help pay for a care attendant. I am filling out paperwork now with the Florida Access program, for similar benefits. I had to medically retire and drawing SSDI.I also have annuity income from a settlement from my accident. So my question is a two part one.

    1. Do I need to include my annuity payment as income with them? I know I didn’t in Al and don’t for tax purposes.

    2. If so, how much income can I have and be eligible for care attendant type of assistance? Is there a site that discusses this?

    thank very much for your assistance on this matter.

    • I’m not 100% sure which benefits you are applying for, but most benefits available through Access Florida have income and resource limits. Generally speaking, you usually have to report everything, and then some income and resources are not counted for various reasons.

  75. Sal Brancaccio // January 26, 2017 at 2:08 am // Reply

    moving from ca to indiana cant find anywhere what my SSI payments would change to…im getting 895 in ca right now but like said dont know how much that will change and for the better or worse…may just stay in ca. thanks

    • The federal benefit rate is $735 for an eligible individual, so that is the federal SSI maximum. Some states have an optional state supplement, and in California the supplement is administered by Social Security, so that is why you may receive more than the federal maximum. According to this Social Security page, Indiana only makes a state supplement available to people who reside in a “room and board facility” or a Medicare-certified facility.

  76. Carolyn Mctier // January 28, 2017 at 8:44 pm // Reply

    If my social security is in Texas, can I request a benefit letter in Florida

  77. SAUNDRA ALSTON // February 7, 2017 at 8:07 am // Reply

    I receive ssdi and Medicare in Rochester Ny. Will my benefits change if I move to Florida ?

  78. Evelyn Fabian // February 8, 2017 at 1:50 pm // Reply

    I live in Massachusetts and I want to move to Orlando Florida because of medical reasons and I receive ssi boy my 17 year old is going with me and want go to College will they help me with this.

    • Since SSI is a federal program, you should still be able to receive benefits in Florida as long as you continue to qualify for the program. Keep in mind that Florida does not have a general state supplement to SSI the way Massachusetts does, so only the federal maximum of $735 is generally available.

  79. Currently I’m married my husband receives SSI and I receive SSI and SSDI going from California to Florida how can our benefits change?

    • There should be no difference for the SSDI. The big difference is that Florida does not have a general state supplement to SSI the way California does, so any amount you receive above the federal SSI amount would not be available in Florida. The federal maximum benefit for an eligible couple is $1,103 per month in 2017.

  80. Ronni Sander // February 24, 2017 at 1:26 am // Reply

    A close friend currently lives in an SRO in a very dangerous neighborhood in another state. He is 58 yrs old and has not worked for over 20 due to a mental disability that makes it difficult for him to leave his room let alone hold a job.

    After 5 years of waiting, he has just this month received approval for SSI based on his disability. His PERC meeting is next month.

    I’ve been aware for a couple of years that he was awaiting a disability/SSI determination. A while ago I suggested he live with me in Florida when he gets his SSI and would then be able to pay some of the rent and additional expenses.

    Now that he has gotten his approval letter, we would like to implement the FL living arrangement after the PERC is completed. I want to be sure to do it the right way so that we establish that he will be paying rent and his SSI benefits wont be subject to one third reduction rule. We will enter into a written agreement about his payment of a portion of the rent/food/utilities, but it won’t be one-half since even with his SSI he couldn’t afford that (I was thinking the amount should be one third of his SSI monthly benefit).

    1 At the PERC, should he inform SS of an anticipated change in his future living arrangement? Or just do a change of address and change of living arrangement when it actually happens?

    2 Is it appropriate to state in the agreement between us that it is conditioned on his receiving SSI benefits in order to pay his agreed share of rent & expenses? (In fact, we couldn’t do this living arrangement unless he did get his full SSI benefits. I would love to be in the position to pay for everything, but I am not financially able; I work just a little and my parents assist in paying my rent))

    3. When should he give a copy of our agreement to SA – at the PERC or when he actually moves in?

    4 Any other suggestions you may offer on how we should proceed during this time and what our agreement should/should NOT say, would be most appreciated.

    • This is a complicated subject, and I can only offer general information, not advice about your specific situation. There may be details I’m not aware of that make a difference.

      With that said, it sounds like you’re on the right track. You’re a step ahead of most beneficiaries just by being aware of the one-third reduction rule. As I said, it’s complex. Here is a table of contents of Social Security’s regulations they follow in this area. Pay particular attention to the page on Sharing, which states that in order to avoid the one-third reduction rule, the beneficiary must pay at least their pro rata share of household expenses (so for two people in the household the beneficiary must pay one half). Otherwise the one-third reduction rule kicks in, and according to this page, when the one-third rule applies, it applies in full or not at all.

      To address your specific questions:

      1. I see no obligation to inform Social Security of possible future living arrangements. However, he may want to use the PERC to ask hypothetical questions: “What if I moved in with a friend? What rules would I have to follow?” Some Social Security employees are more helpful than others.

      2. On this issue, I would draw your attention to this page. It discusses a loan of in-kind support and maintenance (if someone is living with a friend while they wait for SSI and then will repay the value of the food and shelter they received when they get their back pay), which I know is not the situation you are in, but in that situation there is a requirement that the repayment not be conditioned on the person receiving SSI. Since in that situation Social Security does not like for the loan agreement to be conditional, I would not make an ongoing agreement conditional either.

      3. I would plan to submit it close to the time he is going to move in.

      4. Read up on those links, and don’t be afraid to ask Social Security lots of questions. Just take the attitude that you want to follow all the rules and be up front about everything.

  81. Hello. I will be moving back to Florida from AZ. I am in the process of waiting for a decision on SSDI. I am also going to apply for SSI benefits. I will be 62 in a few months.I was married for over 30 yrs. Divorced for 16. I understand I can apply for my ex spouses benefits as well. So how does all of this work? I am quite confused by this. I worked for a short time throughout my marriage. And my ex is still working. Is there a set amount? Does SSDI supercede my SSI ? Thank You

    • You can apply for both divorced spouse’s benefits on your ex-spouse’s record, and Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) benefits on your own record. If you are eligible for both, then Social Security will pay the higher amount, not both. For both these types of benefits, the payment amount depends on how much the wage-earner paid into the system in taxes.

      Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is available for low-income disabled people who either have not paid enough into the system to be eligible for SSDI, or their SSDI amount is low enough that they also qualify for SSI. The monthly SSI maximum payment for an eligible individual is $735, so if your other benefits are higher than that, you would not qualify for SSI.

  82. Ronni Sander // February 27, 2017 at 2:27 am // Reply

    Thank you very much for your detailed response and the links, of course.

  83. Hello, was approved for SSI. Went to local office and did questions. For the retro or back pay period, I was mostly homeless, not also lived at times with a revolving cast of acquaintances. I bought and made food by myself via Food Stamps. Told the local SS office this.

    Get determination, she has me living in household of another for the entire 2 years of back pay! I didn’t. Also I bought and made my own food. So she basically filled it all out as if she works on commission and to steal my back pay I should have receives all along. This takes my monthly from $750 to $490 for 2 years, robbing me.

    Can I call a number at SS? This was my local office who did this, so not much help at all and this employee lied. Thank you.

    • The letter you received telling you the benefit amount should have instructions about how to appeal. You have the right to appeal any decision Social Security makes. When you request reconsideration, a different person will take another look at the same facts and may make a different decision.

  84. Hi, my aunt who has ssi (due to her having downs syndrom) and lives with me, got a letter stating she got approved for Suncap the moment i went to the SS office to transfer her from NY to FL. That was 5 yrs ago and now i got a letter that i need to renew her benefit. It asks if she pays more than 241 a mo for rent. My question is, this past yr i had to resign my job to take 24/7 care of her so yes its been more than 241 but im concered if i state that she will loose on her ssi benefit or they will remove her suncap all together. Getting benefits/services for her in FL has been so challenging!

    • I’m not sure why they would be asking you about that rent amount specifically. In any case, you are required to report her financial situation honestly. Whenever you talk to a representative, you should feel free to ask questions about how changes in her financial situation could affect her benefit. And, anytime a change is made, you have the right to appeal it.

  85. Ronni Sander // March 2, 2017 at 10:23 pm // Reply

    I’ve done a bit more research. Rather than have my friend share expenses it seems that charging him a flat fee for room and board in accordance with POMS SI 835.120 might be a better way to go. I understand it is often used successfully by parents for their adult disabled children who live with them. I do understand that the fee he would pay me will be income to me for tax purposes. I wouldn’t think the fact that my disabled friend is not my disable child should change the outcome, but I’m not sure. Have you seen this work/not work ? (by work I mean my friend not having his SSI benefits reduced for ISM or VTR or other alphabet soup).

  86. john medeiros // March 9, 2017 at 2:27 am // Reply

    hi, im still waiting for a second trial with the judge from ssdi, if i get aproved, since I was making 6 figures and worked for more than 31 year, can also take money from my roth ira as a 72 ct, and how much should i ask for. i hear people saying ssdi will let me have no more than 80% total , if i get sddi benefits plus a sum from roth ira , i will need aroud 65% of my wage before i quit work due to a closure and a illness. any advise will be appreciated.

    • If you are found disabled, your SSDI benefit amount is calculated based on how much you paid into the system through Social Security taxes taken out of your paycheck. You can find out how much your monthly benefit would be by creating or logging into a My Social Security account. Taking distributions from a Roth IRA should not affect your benefit amount. The 80% figure only applies if you receive other public benefits such as workers’ compensation or other government disability benefits. If you receive workers’ compensation or other public disability benefits, and Social Security disability benefits, the total amount of these benefits can’t exceed 80 percent of your average current earnings before you became disabled. More info here.

  87. Hi, i got a letter for my 2 yr old daughter about her claim saying the ssa got medical allowance for her. Does this mean she is basically approved? But more paper work

    • That sounds like she has been found medically disabled. The other part of qualifying for SSI is showing that you meet the income and asset limits, so Social Security will make an appointment with you to go over your financial details.

  88. I currently live in Florida. A few professionals are suggesting we apply for SSI for our 3 year old daughter. I cant figure out if we would qualify due to our monthly income. We are married with one income and have another child who wouldn’t have the SSI benefit. Can you help me with the income guideline, and a broad way to determine if we would be eligible. I have been reading for hours and I am very confused. Thank you!

    • It is a bit complicated. If you think there’s a chance you may be eligible, I recommend applying and letting Social Security apply the formula to your circumstances. To get a rough idea, first check these pages on income and resource limits. Then take a look at this page on SSI for children and scroll down to the Deeming Eligibility Chart. There are lots of different factors and exceptions that may or may not apply in your case, but for a rough idea, the chart says that for a two-parent household with one other non-SSI-eligible child, the monthly limit on earned income would be $4,169.

  89. How many bank statements does SSA review in an SSI redetermination?

  90. laura hicks // April 10, 2017 at 3:08 pm // Reply

    We live in Ala My husband is has been disable for a while now He gets A check on the 1st and one on the 3rd.I have been approved and am waiting on things to get processed. Will I draw the same amount as my husband or will it be less. we are the only two in the house and his checks is our only income

    • From that payment schedule, it sounds like your husband gets both Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. For SSDI, benefit amounts are based on the amount the person paid into the system through taxes taken out of their paycheck, so it is different for each person. For SSI, the maximum federal benefit amount in 2017 is $735 for an eligible individual or $1,103 for a married couple with both spouses eligible.

  91. Hi.. I was approved for both ssdi and ssi. Can u plz tell me if this will affect my backpay amount? Meaning wouldnt I get more backpay if i were only approved for one? They hold each one against each other so wont it cause me to lose money? Also, when u are approved for both ssdi and ssi can your child then be able to draw off your ssdi? I know its not possible for ssi alone.. But if i get both ssdi and ssi then is it possible? Thank you

    • Generally speaking, someone may be eligible for both SSDI and SSI when their SSDI payment is less than $735 per month, so the SSI amount would bring them up to $735 per month. It doesn’t really cause you to lose money though. It’s just that $735 per month is the maximum SSI amount, so if you have other income (such as from SSDI), then SSI will pay less, but it still brings you up to the same total.

      To address your other question, it may be possible for a child to receive auxiliary or dependents benefits based just on the parent’s SSDI benefits, but such benefits could also affect the parent’s SSI benefit amount.

  92. Can I collect SSDI if I had a c section and cannot go back to my previous job due to the inability to perform the tasks necessary

  93. I had asked how many bank statements SSA reviewed in an SSI redetermination. Thank you for your prompt reply. I often go to a clinic run by the Dept. of Mental Health and I was able to share the information with several people up for redeterminations. Is it unusual that they were only asked for three months of bank statements? I told them they better bring three years as you said.

Leave a Comment or Question (it will be moderated and will not appear immediately)